In the news today, leaders and non-profits are focusing on and advising on the morale of federal workers and young employees in particular. From my standpoint, only the following will improve morale and encourage young people to choose and stay with a federal career.
1) No longer send federal workers home with no pay for no significant reason, no real national emergency.
2) Return to standard and annual cost of living increases.
3) Return to rewarding employees for excellence in job performance.
4) Return to pay increases like the ‘steps’ and grade increases that could be relied on to improve and secure a certain standard of living based on job performance.
5) Pass departmental and agency budgets every fiscal year in a timely manner so that leaders within organizations can plan and carryout over a period of time, the mission and vision of their organizations, including training for employees, supporting IT projects to improve processes, establishing new programs that support the constantly changing needs of the people of this nation these departments and agencies are supposed to help.
Right now morale building exercises or more mentoring programs won’t help because the above is not happening and Congress is not talking about making these things happen.
What’s your standpoint?